Implications for practice
Implications pour la pratique
- Compassionate care in radiography recruitment, education and training: a post-Francis Report review of the current literature and patient perspectives.Radiography. 2016; 22: 257-262https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2015.12.008
- Compassion fatigue: a meta-narrative review of the healthcare literature.Int J Nurs Stud. 2017; 69: 9-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2017.01.003
- Definition of compassion in healthcare: a systematic literature review.Int J Palliat Nurs. 2016; 22: 599-606https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2016.22.12.599
- Compassion in Practice - One Year On.2013
- Coping with compassion fatigue.Nursing. 1992; 22: 116-120
- Figley C.R. Compassion Fatigue: Coping with Secondary Traumatic Stress Disorder in Those Who Treat the Traumatised. Routledge, 1995
Figley CR, Abendroth M. Compassion fatigue in nursing. In: Current Issues in Nursing. eighth ed.
- Compassion fatigue in nurses: a metasynthesis.J Clin Nurs. 2017; 26: 4364-4378https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13766
- Oncology nurses' compassion fatigue, burn out and compassion satisfaction.Ann Gen Psychiatry. 2020; 19: 22https://doi.org/10.1186/s12991-020-00272-9
- Compassion fatigue in nursing: a concept analysis.Nurs Forum. 2018; 53: 466-480https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12274
- Compassion fatigue among healthcare, emergency and community service workers: a systematic review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016; 13: 618https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph13060618
- Job satisfaction of therapy radiographers in the UK: results of a phase I qualitative study.Radiography. 2009; 15: 146-157https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2008.02.003
- Emotional exhaustion is associated with work related stressors: a cross-sectional multicenter study in Malaysian public hospitals.Arch Argent Pediatr. 2017; 115https://doi.org/10.5546/aap.2017.eng.212
- Extent of compassion satisfaction, compassion fatigue and burnout in nursing: a meta-analysis.J Nurs Manag. 2018; 26: 810-819https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12589
- Integrative review of facility interventions to manage compassion fatigue in oncology nurses.Oncol Nurs Forum. 2017; 44: E124-E140https://doi.org/10.1188/17.ONF.E124-E140
- Communication and counselling oncology patients—are diagnostic radiographers adequately supported in this role?.Radiography. 1998; 4: 173-182https://doi.org/10.1016/S1078-8174(98)80043-6
- Occupational stress and its predictors in radiographers.Radiography. 2008; 14: 138-143https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2006.09.008
- Examining the prevalence of compassion fatigue and burnout in radiation therapists caring for palliative cancer patients.J Med Imaging Radiat Sci. 2018; 49: 49-55https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmir.2017.10.008
- Audit of the job satisfaction levels of the UK radiography and physics workforce in UK radiotherapy centres 2012.Br J Radiol. 2014; 87: 20130742https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.20130742
- Job stress and job satisfaction of physicians, radiographers, nurses and physicists working in radiotherapy: a multicenter analysis by the DEGRO Quality of Life Work Group.Radiat Oncol. 2009; 4: 6https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717X-4-6
- Burnout in therapy radiographers in the UK.Br J Radiol. 2012; 85: e760-e765https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/16840236
- An investigation into work related stressors on diagnostic radiographers in a local district hospital.Radiography. 2010; 16: 115-124https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2009.09.005
- Occupational burnout among radiographers, sonographers and radiologists in Australia and New Zealand: findings from a national survey.J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2017; 61: 304-310https://doi.org/10.1111/1754-9485.12547
- Anim-Sampong S. Effects of occupational stress and coping mechanisms adopted by radiographers in Ghana.Radiography. 2016; 22: 112-117https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2015.09.002
- Work stress and well-being in oncology settings: a multidisciplinary study of health care professionals: work stress and well-being in oncology staff.Psycho Oncol. 2013; 22: 46-53https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.2055
- Maslach Burnout Inventory Manual.fourth ed. Mind Garden Inc, 1996
- Confronting compassion fatigue in oncology nurses.Nursing. 2020; 50: 54-60
- NHS staff survey 2019: national results briefing.(Available at:)https://www.nhsstaffsurveys.com/Caches/Files/ST19_National%20briefing_FINAL%20V2.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: September 22, 2020
- NHS workforce health & wellbeing Framework.(Available at:)https://www.nhsemployers.org/case-studies-and-resources/2018/05/nhs-health-and-wellbeing-frameworkDate: 2018
- Schwartz center rounds: evaluation of the UK pilots.(Available at:)https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/default/files/field/field_publication_file/schwartz-center-rounds-pilot-evaluation-jun11.pdfDate: 2011Date accessed: September 22, 2020
Contributors: All authors contributed to the conception or design of the work, the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of the data. All authors were involved in drafting and commenting on the paper and have approved the final version.
Funding: This study did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests: All authors have completed the ICMJE uniform disclosure form at www.icmje.org/coi_disclosure.pdf and declare: no financial relationships with any organizations that might have an interest in the submitted work in the previous three years; no other relationships or activities that could appear to have influenced the submitted work.
Ethical approval: This study was part of a local Quality Improvement Project and therefore the ethical requirement of Research Ethics Board approval for this project was formally waived by the institution.